Sometimes I think about how much my life has changed in the almost 10 years I have been out of high school – it truly has been an incredible journey, and I would not change a damn thing about it.
Well besides the overall lack of gaming in my life…
There are things that many kids take for granted when they exclaim, “I can’t wait to grow up and do what I want!” Like the fact that when you become an adult, you honestly cannot always do what you want. Now, there are select individuals in this world that can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and congratulations to them, they are part of the “Less Than 1% Club.” The other 99% of us have to go to a job, day-in and day-out, to collect a meager paycheck to pay for our meager lifestyles. Being an adult does not give one the means to play EVERY game that they want to play for a minimum of 60 hours. Hell, if I can spend two hours every other week playing video games, I consider that a solid win for myself.
I don’t want to have an overly negative tone to this article, so I will pop-in a positive right now to make sure that you guys stick around with this article to the end. That being said, a positive about being an adult with a strong background in gaming? Well, that would have to be the bigger bankroll (well compared to a 10-year-old paperboy at least) to acquire the games from my childhood, and the ability to collect games I never had as a child.
Sure, as a kid I had countless hours to level up every single one of my 1st Generation Pokemon to level 100, and the time to just grind in about any other RPG I had at the time, AND… the time and dedication necessary to find EVERY single easter egg and collectible in my quest to 100% my catalog of games.
I may not have the time to invest into gaming like in my glory years, but I do have a car AND money nowadays. Fortunately for me (or unfortunately in many people’s eyes), my job has me traveling a lot across the state of New York. Being in a different city almost daily has its perks for being a retro game collector like myself – I have seen all types of stores across this great state, from the Goodwill type stores, to the small “mom and pop” gaming stores that inhabit the land. I have seen the great deals to be had on retro games, and I have also witnessed the wrath of the dreaded “resellers.”
But, balancing your budget as an adult is one of the key factors to how successful you will become in your lifetime. I may want to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck on that one NES game I have drooled over countless times for years, but I have to keep my priorities in check at this junction of my life. I only spend maybe $50 a month on games, which is a strict budget I have set for myself recently to avoid blowing grocery money on a handful of games. This has worked out to my benefit though, as I am constantly on the lookout for great deals. Plus having the willpower necessary to say “no” to overpriced retro games can comeback later as good luck as I’ve walked away from games to find them later on in a wholesale lot for about the same price as that one game itself (I’m looking at you, Contra Force).
So, to summarize this article — and maybe help out some younger gamers that are transitioning to adulthood — here are some Pros and Cons of being an adult for you:
- Being an adult more than likely means you have money, unlike being a kid.
- I get to spend every day with the love of my life (who supports my video game habit).
- The ability to make rational decisions on purchases to benefit your game collection.
- The ability to build a game room in your own place, and not the house where your parents live.
- I will probably never have the time to dedicate to the huge backlog of RPGs I own.
- You will probably not like your job, and for anyone reading this article that actually likes their job, I am happy for you!
- Missing out on the unknown. What I mean is that while growing up, we didn’t have the internet. Everything we learned about games came from the schoolyard and video game publications. So, missing out on the unknown aspects of our games has gone completely out the window with all of the information that is readily available to us these days.
That is basically it for my list of Pros and Cons, but like I said before, I wouldn’t change a thing about being an adult. Yes, there are times when I wish I had the time to play games NON-STOP like I did when I was a kid, but overall that chapter of my life has long since been over. I look forward to the next chapter of my life where I can appreciate the finer things in life, while also firing up that oh-so-lovely NES to play some retro gaming greatness in my valuable free time.
** I was using Don Draper images to convey a sense of adulthood throughout this article, but in all honesty, this is the adult life I lead: